Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Oh, Caleb!!


Today was a busy day for us. Caleb had his first cavity, so I had set up a dentist appointment to have it filled today. Dave was not able to take off work (since we were fit in last minute), so I had to take all 4 kids to the dentist with me.

I told Caleb to run downstairs and get dressed. He translated that into, "Caleb, run downstairs and climb through the Lego table that you've been told a million times not to!" (As any normal child would translate that into!) He seemed to be taking an extra long time getting his clothes on, so I stopped getting ready, and I heard some faint crying. I got to the top of the stairs, and I saw Ava sitting at the bottom of the stairs playing with her music box. I listened for a minute to their conversation (Caleb's crying and Ava's calmly replying).

C-"Ava, please go and get Mom!"
A- "I will when I finish playing with this!"
C- "Ava, PLEASE, I need you to get Mom!"
A- "I'm almost finished playing."
C- "Ava, playing with that is not more important than helping!"
A- "Well, I'm almost finished, Caleb!"

I leaned forward a little bit and realized the reason for his crying. Caleb was, well, you can see for yourself!I was so upset. First of all, we've told him SO many times not to climb through that stupid hole! Second, I was already frazzled at trying to get all 4 kids ready for the dentist. I tried to move his arms back through, but they wouldn't budge! I tried everything! I called Dave, and he wasn't any help (sorry honey, you really weren't!) I called my Mom and my sister who both gave the same advice to try and break the table. Although it doesn't look like it, that table top is hard wood. I didn't have a saw or anything! Finally, after a lot of pulling and a lot of Caleb's tears, we were able to wiggle it slightly loose.I told him that we could just pull it down his body now, but it wouldn't budge again.
M- "If you got in, you should be able to get out!"
C- "I can't!"
M- "Then how in the heck did you get in in the first place?"
C- "I was skinnier this morning!!"


Once again, after more tears and and more pulling, he was free. He started jumping up and down screaming, "We did it" To which Ava started singing the Dora song, "we did it, we did, we did it yeah!" Caleb angrily yelled, "You don't have to sing the Dora song, Ava!!"

Two lessons learned today:
1-DON'T climb through a Lego table.
2- I DO seem to get fatter as the day goes on! (Unlike Caleb, I don't restart as skinnier in the morning!! :P)

Dave and I both told him if he ever tries this again, we are giving his Lego table away. So, since I know my child, does anyone want a Lego table? Give him a week, and I'm sure he'll try it again!!


4 comments:

Melissa said...

That's so nice!! I'm glad you were able to get him unstuck. I think you should post at least one funny thing that Caleb says a day. He says some of the greatest things!

A. Schoonie said...

Love Caleb's skinnier comment. Kids can be so quick in their replies it cracks me up! I am glad you were able to get him free.

Jessica said...

So this is what I get to look forward too :)That is to funny! Sorry I am sure you were super frustrated! Glad he got out with out breaking the table. I love the commentary as well

Jenn said...

That's awesome, so funny-- love the skinnier comment!! What a funny kid. It's those things that make us so mad as moms, but are so funny when someone else's kid does it!!