Thursday, August 20, 2009

First of First

I can't believe that Caleb is in 1st grade! He was so excited for school. I got up early to make his favorite breakfast, Skinnies (Crepes to most of you).(My kids ALWAYS want to eat off this plate....thanks Melissa,
you made the day even more special for him!)


Kate knew that something special was going on because Caleb got the "red plate" and let's be honest, the only time my kids usually get hot breakfast is when I make it for dinner or they leave their cereal out too long! Sensing how special the day was, she insisted on me taking a picture of her at breakfast as well.
After our AMAZING breakfast, Caleb finished getting ready for school.
Kate still insisted that she was going to school, and once again made me take a picture of her and Olivia (hair undone, breakfast on shirt, and all)
After assuring Kate that she could ask Santa to bring her a "Dora backpack" so she could "go to school too". We took off. I got Caleb into class while Dave sat in the car with the girls.


(Oh, Mrs. Golding, are you sure you're ready for this year??)I left (with only 1 picture this year.....yes, I am getting better!!) The last words out of my mouth were instructions for Caleb to meet the neighborhood kids at the bike rack to walk home after school. He was so excited!

After a whole day of Kate crying (she cried non stop while I was in the school and 30 minutes after) because she couldn't go to school too, I was ready to hear all about my big boy's first day of all day school!

Imagine my surprise to get a call that Caleb was missing from school. He didn't wait for his friend from class, and he didn't show up at the bike rack. He also didn't come when paged from the office. He had taken off with his friend, Diego. I was stressed (since Ava was home sick from getting shots the day before) about trying to find him. Luckily, about 10 minutes later (and Diego's mom out looking for them), he and Diego came walking up the street.


All that excitement about school, and the only thing he could tell me about the day was that he got "3 recesses" and that "Mrs. Golding yelled 2 times in class!" When I asked him if he had gotten in trouble, he assured me that he didn't she yelled to "show the kids what not to do in the halls." He also had found a "grape tree" on the way home and helped himself to a handful of grapes.

After pressing him further, I finally got out the he LOVED school lunch. He ate "yogurt, graham crackers, fruit, a popsicle, and milk." When I asked him why he didn't get pizza for lunch, he told me that "they only let you choose 1 thing....yogurt and crackers, pizza, or a corn dog."

After talks about why we don't choose yogurt for lunch (I don't even think that should be an option for a main course!!), how taking grapes from a "tree" is actually stealing, and why we listen to directions (and wait for all the other children, even if they take longer to get places than us), I think we are finally all on the same page. Let's just hope that day 2 goes a little more smoothly!!


8 comments:

Gwen said...

Poor mommy, I bet that was a stressful day.

Kim said...

What a crack up! He is such a sweet boy! Every time he talked to me yesterday he either had to whisper, while hugging me or rub my hand and arm. It was so cute, he is a sweetie and did so well! Sorry about all the after school drama though, hopefully it will go more smoothly in the future!

Carlie said...

Oh boy! what a day! I hope things get better! Dylan started 1st grade also this past week. Its funny the things that remember to tell you about school. I've learned to try to get creative in my questions to really learn what they do for the day.

Jenn said...

Caleb cracks me up!! It was so good to talk to you the other day! We'll definitely have to come down this fall and see you guys. Kate is soo cute--your twins are looking so grown-up!

krimmeez said...

I can't believe that he's starting 1st grade. You are handling it well. Kaitlyn starts kindergarten next week and I'm not ready!

Angie said...

Glad everything ended up working out. He is just getting so big! And I bet it's crazy to think of yourself as the mom of a 1st grader.

breanna said...

you need to write a book! seriously.

we have the same problem over here...elijah is FIANLLY going to preschool after 2 years of crying because, "he NEVER get to go to school." i only have to endure it for 2 more weeks...renee started last week and he starts the 10th. i just hope it's everything he's hoped for! it's hard being the younger one i guess.

Jeana said...

Wow talk about a bit of excitement for the first day of school! Your kids are so adorable! I can't believe your twins are already 2!! When are you due with your little boy again? I know in that past you haven't had the best pregnancy's how are you feeling?