Sunday, January 23, 2011

Letter of the day

My twins have gotten really excited over recognizing the first letter in their names. They will shout out in excitement every time they see the first letter of their name. Dave and I decided to take advantage of this while they are still so excited about letters. We started our letter of the day game (Thanks Sesame Street)!
We bought one of these for the girls a few years ago. You can put whatever letter you want in it, push it, and it will tell you the name of the letter and what it says. The girls have to repeat the name of the letter, the sound of the letter, and then come up with a word that starts with the same sound.

We hide the magnetic letter from the toy. If they find that, they get a small prize. If they can find 25 letters of the day around our house (in books, pictures, products, etc), they get a treat. My mom made it even better by telling the girls to clean up their toys and look for the letters on the tags of the toys (genius!) We are only on day 2, but they are LOVING it! I wish I had taken pictures yesterday, but here are some from today.

(Eat your heart out Cookie Monster!)
Yes, some of them look more like "8" than "B" but they didn't care.

We'll see how long they stay excited, but for now, they are learning the alphabet and it's keeping the messes to a minimum!

3 comments:

somerville.blogspot.com said...

cute I will send mine up there to learn with yours!

Kim said...

You are the cutest parents EVER! What a fun idea!

Jenn said...

So cute!!! I need to get more creative with teaching my kiddos!!